On Thursday, the state of Florida received a call about a chlorine fire at a Florida beach.
Firefighters arrived at the scene, and found a fire.
They put out the fire with water and chlorine, but they had to use a hazmat suit to get into the beach.
“We had to wear masks to get in and out of the water,” says Firefighter 1st Class Scott Peele, who’s also an officer with the Florida Firefighter Association.
The FDAAA is urging its members to wear the hazmat suits when they are on duty, especially for the chlorine-containing chemicals.
We need to have our masks in the event of a chlorine spill, which is a very real concern,” says FDAAA President and CEO, Robert Bessette.
The chemicals can be harmful to people and pets, and it can also release chlorine gas into the air, which can make breathing difficult.
The FDAAA advises people not to use the water at the beach, because it is highly corrosive.
The Florida Beach Fire Department says the chlorine spill is under control and is expected to be contained in about a day.
A spokesman for the Florida Department of Environmental Protection says the chemicals will not be allowed to spill into the water during the chlorine washout.”
Beachgoers are asked to please keep pets inside when not at the water’s edge, to avoid the potential for accidental exposure,” the FDAAA says.
A spokesman for the Florida Department of Environmental Protection says the chemicals will not be allowed to spill into the water during the chlorine washout.
The state has also been dealing with the problem of chemical spills at other beaches around the state.
In 2016, a chemical spill on a beach in the town of Pompano Beach resulted in a number of injuries.